Our flight arrived in Seoul at 11pm on Friday, April 9th (which would have been 9am in MSP - remember, Seoul is 14 hours ahead). We had a driver from the agency pick us up at the airport in Seoul, and arrived at the guesthouse around midnight. Bed mattress is super hard - but at this point, who cares. We unpacked and crashed.
firm mattress that felt surprisingly good after a loooooong flight
each floor of the guesthouse (4 floors) had a shared kitchen area
Saturday morning we woke up early in need of coffee and the desire to explore - plan was to go to Insa-dong, which is a neighborhood with streets/alleys of shops, art galleries, food vendors and restaurants. We tried to get directions to the subway station from agency staff, but didn't have the best of luck. We walked out the door of the agency and took a chance heading in one direction. Wrong choice. We eventually turned around and made our way back, confused since the map we were provided wasn't detailed by street. We walked the path that the driver had taken when driving us the night before, in hopes we'd recognize something and ... voilà, we found the subway station! In addition, we found the super cool, Hongik University area - it's an art college and there were many hip restaurants and shops and ... a STARBUCKS!! Yay, coffee! :)
Starbucks!

Insa-dong
alley in Insa-dong
we bought a custom hand-carved name stamp for JD (in his Korean name) from this woman & man
street performers
How could I resist him?
But that problem was solved when we took the subway back to Hongik University area and I found a suuuuper cool jacket at a store called "Volkwagon" (thought of you, Mary Beth) ... had to get it and now I'm warm.
toasty warm in her cool new jacket!
Hongbik University area
this building was our "landmark" to help find our way back to the guesthouse
On the subway, we met an American named Ryan who is living in Seoul and teaches english at a public school. He gave us some ideas and directions on places to see - he was very nice and couldn't help but tell us that he was very much in love with a local Korean girl whom he had moved to Korea to be near :)Tomorrow is Sunday and, among other adventures, we plan to check out a Cherry Blossom Festival along the river ...
-S












So exciting that you are in Seoul! Looks like you are having a blast! I love Insadong. Been to that Starbucks myself :) Do you meet JD on Monday?? Woohoo! You are so close! I'm so jealous that you are there during cherry blossom time!
ReplyDeletePS - Yes, all toilets in Japan are heated which can be very nice ... or very weird (think post-workout sweaty and you have to use the toilet :)
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time already. Can't wait to hear about that first meeting!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are THERE! YAY!
ReplyDeleteI am jealous of several things mentioned in your post:
1. those pod seats on the airplane (I looked at those with such envy upon boarding)
2. being in Seoul (of course!)
3. being in Seoul during during the Cherry Blossom Festival...I've heard such wonderful things about it from others
4. the awesome subway system there - I can hear the music they play for transfer stations in my head RIGHT NOW.
Enjoy all the fun things...and of course Monday...meeting your son. Nothing will beat that!
P.S. Those bags you mentioned (but I do not see under your eyes)???...make friends with them...I have!
So glad you made it safely to Seoul! We got lost the first day getting to the subway, too. In the pouring rain, no less. We loved Insadong, and I love your idea of buying gifts for JD's first 18 birthdays! I can't wait to keep following you in Seoul!
ReplyDeleteGlad the trip there went well and you're having fun exploring. I hope you're having good luck shopping for the 18 bday gifts!
ReplyDeleteYou both are looking great & well rested in the photos!
I'm trying to teach Esmé to say "JD" but every time I say his name she just looks at me, puts her arms up and says "TOUCH-dowwwwn!". We'll keep working on it.
Love you lots!
you're there!
ReplyDeleteso happy for you.
and, like janet, i'm so jealous!
can't wait to read about every. little. thing. ESPECIALLY that littlest prince.
Hi KIds,
ReplyDeleteWow those pictures are beautiful. You both look great and I also love the idea of the 18 gifts. What have you gotten so far? Can't wait to see the meeting!!
Take care.
Love,Nana
Love that you're in Seoul right now! And how I wish we were there too :)
ReplyDeleteVery excited for you to meet your little man.
Sheryl,
ReplyDeleteI have the same picture with Ronald McDonald, Ha ha!!!! Crazy that we both sat at that same bench. Congrats :)