Tuesday, April 20, 2010

welcome home to the littlest prince!

Sorry I've been silent - I have a teething child who also has a cold (in addition to all the change he's trying to deal with).  He has not been the happiest of campers, but he's a trooper.  On top of that, this mama is also sick.  The shortage of sleep the last few weeks has clearly caught up with me.  I'll describe the last 4 days in one word: trying

try·ing 
–adjective
extremely annoying, difficult, or the like; straining one's patience and goodwill to the limit: a trying day; a trying experience.

With that said, it's also been an absolutely amazing experience everytime I get a smile or laugh out of my adorable little boy!  I know in a few days we'll both be healthy and feeling better - and this trying time will be but a memory for all of us, overshadowed by all the funny and cute things that we've already witnessed (and that I'll share w/you in yet another post).

I owe an update on the scene we encountered at the airport when we FINALLY arrived in Mpls.  We waited for all other passengers to deplane before we did, so we could do so w/o feeling too frazzled (yeah, right) with all our gear and our cute chunky peanut of a child.  Of course our gate was G20, basically as far away as you could possibly get from baggage claim.  We got a good workout making the trek, knowing that we had amazing family and friends who were awaiting our arrival. 

We got to the top of the escalator and started to head down.  I saw everyone there waiting, with signs and big balloons, and I immediately began to cry - partly because I was overwhelmed by the love in everyone's faces and partly because I was just plain old overwhelmed by this whole emotional experience we had gone through ... and maybe a little bit because my arm hurt from carrying my little tank of a boy :)

I'll tell the rest of this 'welcome home' story in pictures:
kitty kat, ang, heather, mb, glenn & 'chelle eagerly awaiting the littlest prince...
 and here we come ... see the tears? 
 jd + esme` & shirley + kitty kat
 jd meets grandpa & grandma ...
 ... and aunty michelle (who saved my arm by holding him)
 
... and uncle glennerd (sorry glenn, you'll never live that name down)!
 
 the first of many hugs from grandma  
... and from grandpa
 ms. ezzy made him a sign (lil' flirt)!  
 some pretty amazing friends who couldn't wait to meet the littlest prince!
(he's a lucky lil' dude and so am I)

p.s.  uncle steve isn't in any of these pictures because he was busy behind the camera.  Thanks steve!!  :)

8 comments:

  1. TRYING is the perfect word to describe those first few days at home. It gradually gets easier. Sorry to hear you are both sick. That makes things harder, for sure. What GREAT pictures of coming home. What a great group of friends and love seeing him with Gma & Gpa. So cute. That other little one (Esme) is sure super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet's right - it's tough. The first few weeks/months can be really hard. Hang in there, enjoy the good times.
    Love the homecoming photos. They always make me choked up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Sheryl! I can't imagine how hard it is - if there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask!! Oh, and I'm pretty sure JD and Emma are twins, she is teething like crazy now too! Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, hang in there, mama. know that it will just get easier, it HAS to!
    and i love the homecoming pics, too. i'm with elizabeth... ALL choked up over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arriving home is such an emotional experience! It looks like JD has lots of family and friends to love on him. Hang in there--the first few weeks are just plain hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tearing up just seeing these lovely photos of your homecoming! JD looks so cute in the photos, too. What a sweetheart. Sorry you are sick. I hope you get through these yucky days quickly and onto some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was such an amazing night at the airport, we wouldn't have missed it for anything. It will always be a really special memory seeing you come down the escalator with JD in your arms!

    And of course, JD & Esme checking each other out for the first time was beyond precious. Those photos & video of their first meeting will be so cute at their wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete