Monday, April 12, 2010

happy birthday to me ... a 3D JD!

I woke up early ... like 3 am early.  Guess I was a bit excited.  We spent the morning getting dressed; prepping our gifts for the foster family, social worker and agency director; and going over our list of questions we wanted to ask his foster mother.  We were instructed to go down to "Office 101" at 9:50 am, so we could complete some paperwork.  Then we'd meet JD at 10am.  I was calm, cool and collected until 9:48am.  Then I started freaking out ... for real.  Just ask David :)

After the paperwork, we walked, with our social worker Bo, to a room filled with toys.  There was another family just exiting that room and a line of about 10 foster mothers with children waiting for their turn to go into the room for the "1st meeting".  Bo beckoned to one of the women and she popped out of line ... and THERE HE WAS, the littlest prince!!   WOW!!  It's so funny because I cried before our meeting, and I'm crying as I'm typing this blog, but I didn't cry during our one hour visit with him.  I was just so filled with joy and wanted to enjoy every second that it didn't even cross my mind.  Plus I didn't want to scare the little bugger!

JD did so well.  He never cried and didn't really show any stranger anxiety.  He just stared at us intently at first, then started playing with toys.  Initially, when we tried to play with him, he would just stare at us with a "who the heck are you guys?" kind of look. 
here's the "who the heck are you guys" look
In the beginning, JD stayed fairly close to his foster mother.  We kept playing with him and didn't get too "in his face".  We used this opportunity to ask his foster mother questions about his likes/dislikes (Bo translated for us)
FM is telling us what, and how, he likes to eat   

Then, finally, we had the breakthrough smile, while playing with a wire/block toy, and it was all downhill from there. 
look at that smile!
We got tons of smiles after that and lots of fun playtime.  He seems pretty easygoing and he loves to move around and check things out.  And he even danced for us a few times.  For a while he was more interested in a vacuum cleaner in the corner of the room than he was in the toys.  He went over to it a couple of times and made vacuum cleaner noises (hmm, this mama thinks she may have a little helper for the housework)! 

He smelled absolutely yummy - David commented on it a number of times after our meeting on what a wonderful "baby" smell JD had.  And of course he had the cutest little nugget of a butt :)   
he liked the cookie eating noises I made
 
 playtime with daddy 
 "D" is soaking up that yummy baby smell :)
 
 
  
... and he let me hold him at the end of our visit
At the end of our visit, we were told our 2nd visit with JD will be Wednesday afternoon at 2pm. Yay!  We then went to meet with the agency director at Eastern, Dr. Kim.  Our visit with her was shared with 2 other families:  a woman from MN picking up her 2nd child (she lives not far from us, she gave us her contact info) and a family of 4 from CA who were there to visit their adopted son's (10 yr old) birth country and his foster mother.  Dr Kim told us the history of Eastern and of adoption in Korea, as well as a bit on the social history of Korea since the Korean War. 

We were then invited to have lunch with her (something we thought wouldn't happen until Thurs, if at all).  We went up to the lunchroom and it was filled with other people.  We shared a table with the CA family and another couple from WY who were there adopting their child.  It was a lovely lunch and the food was delicious.  My favorite?  Bibimbap (rice, veggies, might have been a little meat).  We spent well over an hour with these people and had a wonderful conversation.

By the time we were done it was 2pm.  We headed out to check out Itaewon area in hopes of finding some gifts for JD - no luck there in our gift hunt :(   We then walked over to Namsan Park, which is right in the middle of the city and HUGE.  It is a beautiful, very well maintained nature area with hiking trails and walking paths.  It reminds me a little of Muir Woods outside of San Fran.  This park is also where the N Seoul tower is (picture a Seattle space needle type bldg).  We took a cable car up to the tower so we could enjoy the view from the observation deck.  WOW, this city is so much bigger than we realized ... not sure why I'm surprise as it has one of the top 5 largest populations in the world.  Seeing it from up here really gives you a feel for just HOW big it is.
Namsan park from the air
What an AWESOME birthday!!!   JD is no longer just these one dimensional pictures that I've been looking at since last August.  He's now my JD in 3D:  an adorable, huggable, snuggly, squirmy, totally mobile and laughing little 13 month old.  And he's ours :)

28 comments:

  1. I think I have worn out my refresh button waiting for your update! Matt, Ez & I just read the whole thing together and Esmé is already drawn to her new man. She keeps pointing at JD on the screen.

    Surprise surprise that I'm sitting here in tears and of course keep looking at all the photos. His smile warms my heart and he is sooooo dang cute!! I love the one where JD is looking up at you and you're both smiling at each other.

    What a day!
    Hugs.
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have worn out my refresh button waiting for your update! Matt, Ez & I just read the whole thing together and Esmé is already drawn to her new man. She keeps pointing at JD on the screen.

    Surprise surprise that I'm sitting here in tears and of course keep looking at all the photos. His smile warms my heart and he is sooooo dang cute!! I love the one where JD is looking up at you and you're both smiling at each other.

    What a day!
    Hugs.
    -k

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting - what a happy day for all of you! JD is such a cutie!

    You do such a nice job with your journaling too! This will be a great keepsake for your little Prince.

    Jennifer (norasmommy from the Korea forum)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful pictures. God he is precious and too handsome!! Unbelievable smile.
    Thank you for the wonderful updates too!
    Can't Wait to hold my first grandson!
    Love to you three.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful first visit. That smile could melt anyone's heart. Best birthday present of all, huh? Hope the rest of your time there is wonderful and the 2nd meeting is full of lots of smiles and laughter.
    Robin (rdolbow from the forum)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on meeting your son!!! And a VERY HAPPY Birthday to you! He is absolutely adorable and his smile melts hearts! How wonderful that he warmed up to you so fast! Enjoy the feeling of cloud 9!!! (Not that you will be leaving it anytime soon!)

    We met our son on my birthday for the first time as well!!!! I can say from experience this will be the best birthday gift! Now every year on my birthday I will remember the JOY of meeting our son!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am writing this through my tears, I can imagine all of yours :) You all look sooo happy and that is wonderful. You're going to be a great mommy. Thanks for taking us along on this journey with you. I can't wait to meet your new son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooohhh...I'm so excited to see this post...with all the wonderful pictures. JD is adorable...what a smile. He'll melt some hearts with that smile...repeatedly, I'm sure. What a fantastic birthday present. You both look SOOO happy around him...and he does too. It is finally REAL! Congratulations. Enjoy Seoul & your next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Congratulations Sheryl and David!! What a wonderful birthday celebration! JD is absolutely adorable, and that smile will melt everyone! I can't wait to meet him. Enjoy every second of your trip. (I have been out of town on vacation and didn't realize until just now that you were 'traveling'!) I am soooo excited and happy for you both! Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yippee! He's adorable! And you both look so incredibly happy.
    Happy happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEAH!!! Your details and pictures are wonderful- thank you for filling us in on your exciting introduction to JD 3D. He is absolutely darling and clearly a good eater :)
    Enjoy the rest of your trip and safe travels home!
    XOXOXOXOXO- Heather Lund

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pictures! You guys look GREAT together. What a happy family you are! He looks so happy with you guys and I can't wait for your Wednesday visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. JD is such a cutie! He has such a big smile. What a wonderful birthday present for you!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing. He is the cutest little guy I have ever seen and the pictures of you all are priceless. You should have heard the department squeel with excitment when I saw you posted pictures and yelled it from my desk!!! We are THRILLED for you three and can't wait to meet the littlest prince!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheryl,
    I have so enjoyed reading your blog and now finally you get to meet him I'm so thrilled for you and David!! He is ridiculously adorable, I love the pictures of you with him, it looks like you were meant to be together. Thanks for posting your story, and I know it will be amazing for him to read when he is older. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post!!! so happy for you. He is a beautiful boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, YAY! What an AMAZING birthday for you! Your son is beautiful and happy, and the three of you look great together. So happy for you! Can't wait until meeting #2!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can feel the joy in your words! SO happy for you!!! Can't wait to hear more and to meet the little guy! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats Sheryl and greetings from Gulu, Uganda. Very happy for you guys. The little man looks happy and healthy. Best wishes with the rest of your journey and your travels home... steve

    ReplyDelete
  20. YAY Sheryl!! I love all of the pictures! JD is adorable and I couldn't be happier for you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats, Sheryl! I'm at my desk and tearing up reading your posts from Korea. So excited for you guys to have your family all together. Love the photos and will be watching for more!

    Enjoy every minute!
    Katie Selby

    ReplyDelete
  22. have a fun last day and a good flight home.
    won't be long now.... see you at the airport

    -matt

    ReplyDelete
  23. So happy for you. He is a doll! The way he looks at you in the picture is too much for words. Congrats on your beautiful family. xxoo, the McGraths

    ReplyDelete
  24. A birthday you will always remember! I am so excited for you and David.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures! Everyone looks so happy and what a rare and wonderful birthday - what a celebration.
    Safe travels and looking forward to seeing you soon.
    xoxo, L

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome, Awesome, awesome!! I have little tears of happiness for you right now (yes, at work!) Good thing it's allergy season - ha! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  27. He's adorable!! Love those cheeks! I'm so happy for you guys! I can see what a proud mama you are already! Suck up that baby smell! They grow up way too quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok, I'm a little more emotional than usual these days, but I can't keep a dry eye! The pictures are priceless!

    ReplyDelete