Tuesday, June 15, 2010

jd's construction company - he's accepting new clients ...

So I finally hung pictures in JD's room. We received the super cool Andy Warhol print of Ginger that I won in a "cutest dog" contest (thanks to all of you who voted) and I had a few others things to hang on the walls. 
Ginger, the cutest dog
I put JD in his pack-n-play in our bedroom for his nap so I could work on his room.  I had all my tools: measuring tape, straight edge, level, hammer and drill. His room was full of tools and his crib came in handy as a spot to lay them out while I did my work. After a looooong afternoon, I finished the job - all pictures and his initials were hung and everything was looking good (and straight)!  I was so happy to have it done!!  After dinner, I touched up a few areas of paint and put away all the tools just in time for JD to go down for the night.

After putting JD to bed, we could hear him babbling and playing in his crib. We have one of those video monitors (thanks RHI girls), so we were peeking at him and all his silliness. About 10 minutes into his bedtime chit-chat, I heard a knocking mixed in with his babbling. I ignored it for a minute, figuring he was playing with his plastic butterfly teething ring, knocking it against his crib.

The knocking continued, so I grabbed the video monitor and watched. I could see JD lying on his back with something in his hand and he was tapping it against the crib rails. We keep some items in his crib for him to play with so, again, I assumed it was either the teething ring or a little book. I was staring at the object, trying to figure out what it was when, finally, I detected the silhouette of ... A HAMMER!!!!!!!!!! OH. MY. GOD.

I burst into his room and flipped on the lights! JD immediately stood up. You should have seen the stunned look on his face - picture a baby going "what the heck"!?  I took the hammer from him and put him back down on his back, gently whispering how his mother was a total moron and that he should go back to sleep. I left the room (yes, with the hammer this time), figuring that now we’d never get him to sleep for the night after shocking the little peanut. But, lo and behold, he whined for a minutes and fell right to sleep (probably having nightmares of me bursting into his room)!

I know, I know - you're wondering how I ever got approved to adopt a child! :)

disclaimer:  it was a small hammer, not the standard issue used by most (just trying to redeem myself) :0

p.s.  and yes, since my child was alive and free of hammer dings to his body, I was laughing when I left his room :) :)

4 comments:

  1. HA HA! Since he was not injured, I can laugh about this. It's actually very, very funny. Sorry, but it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were going to say he got the picture of the dog down and was banging it on the crib. A hammer? Oops! At least he didn't put a hole in the wall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would have been much better had JD done this around 3:00 in the morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left a knife on my child's highchair (I was cutting up something on their tray and walked away). I am glad our social worker wasn't here that day, lol!!!

    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete